Table Mountain is a truly spectacular sight to behold, as well as being the most iconic landmark in South Africa, greeting visitors to Cape Town with its undeniable lure. Whether you’re discovering the magic of the Mother City with the presence of Table Mountain overhead, enjoying a mountain hike on a holiday adventure or admiring this incredible natural asset from a peaceful beachfront, you will be thoroughly enchanted.
The name Table Mountain was inspired by the flat top of this mountain’s surface. It is not uncommon to see what appears as a “blanket” of fog covering the “table” of Table Mountain, which has been the source of many legends over the years. Table Mountain National Park is approximately 25 000 hectares in size and is a marine protected area, home to the marine big 5 and rich marine diversity. The wheelchair friendly Table Mountain Aerial Cableway is a popular way to experience a trip up and down Table Mountain, with one trip taking about 5 minutes at a comfortable speed – this modern cable car rotates to ensure that everyone can enjoy spectacular 360 degree views. Hiking up Table Mountain with a group of friends is a rewarding experience, and takes about 2 hours one way.
Interesting Facts about Table Mountain:
• Table Mountain Aerial Cableway first opened in 1929 and has since attracted more than 25 million visitors from around the world, with more than 800 people enjoying this incredible trip every hour!
• Table Mountain is one of the oldest mountains in the world, at around 300 million years old. This makes it older than other famous mountains like the Himalayas, Alps and the Andes!
• This beautiful mountain boasts an awe-inspiring and unique ecosystem and wonderfully diverse fauna and flora, and is also home to endemic species such as Dassies (Rock Hyrax) and the elusive Table Mountain Ghost Frog, which can’t be found anywhere else in the world
• In 1998, Nelson Mandela declared Table Mountain “a gift on earth”, which is evident from its powerful presence, beautiful assets and magical views
• Every month, at least 2 couples get married on Table Mountain!
• Maclear’s Beacon is the highest point of Table Mountain and is 1,085 metres above sea level
Once you reach the top, enjoy audio tours or guided walks along Table Mountain and take in unparalleled views of the Mother City, outstretched coastline, surrounding mountains and azure blue Atlantic Ocean. You will want to bring your camera along to capture and look back on memories of your time here. There is a restaurant, Wi-Fi lounge and gift shop to enjoy on Table Mountain, while sunsets from the top (enquire about Table Mountain’s Sunset Specials) magnify the surrounding beauty of Cape Town.
While enjoying a discovery of the most alluring attractions in the Mother City, make time to experience The Iconic Robben Island Tour – An Unforgettable Experience! Is this your first time in Cape Town? We have you covered with A Locals Guide to Cape Town!
Book Accommodation in & around Blouberg
Blouberg – The Perfect Holiday Destination, is famous for its unsurpassed views of Table Mountain and Robben Island, amazing surfing and kitesurfing beaches like Big Bay Beach and attractions that include the stunning Eden on the Bay promenade, which is home to an array of welcoming restaurants and a Table Mountain photo frame for fun group pictures. Holiday accommodation in Bloubergstrand, Milnerton or Melkbosstrand places guests close to Table Mountain and an array of attractions.
Many of our Blouberg Holiday Rentals self-catering holiday apartments and holiday homes showcase breathtaking views of Table Mountain and the glittering city lights beneath it, from across the vast Atlantic Ocean.